Saturday, July 5, 2008

New to the DC experience




I arrived at the Code Pink house on Tuesday July 1st excited and ready to whip congress into shape. I hit the ground running and have been amazed at how up close and personal politics are here in D.C.! Wednesday we were sitting in the living room watching the news when CNN stated that Bush had a press conference at the White House on the G8 summit at 10:30. It was 10:15. Me and Liz said, "Let's go!" and grabbed a banner, a bullhorn and a cab and got to the White House. We blasted Bush on the bullhorn and interacted with the public. The press were jumping the bushes with their cameras to film US, not Bush! I gave an interview to The Wall Street Journal, Politico and New York Times. Thursday we delivered letters to congress members opposing the resolutions for sanctions against Iran. Friday a group went to Monitcello where Bush was speaking and successfully interrupted him 8 times!!! Here's the link to the photo from the New York Times of one of our members, Tigher:




(Even if I wasn't there my hat was!!!!) I went to the parade with a group dressed as pink statures of liberty and had a great time handing out candy with facts on Iran, Iraq and FISA. I got in the parade with the hari krishnas for a bit until a cop literally shoved me out =(. Today, Saturday, I went to the NEA (National Education Association) conference with James and Liz and met many fellow teachers and passed out flyers on the Iran resolutions. Had great talks with people from all over the country. Cindy Sheehan was speaking at the Peace and Justice Causus there so gave her a hand and interacted with LOTS of great people. All told we gave out 400 flyers and people were already calling their congress members. Cindy came over for dinner tonight to the Pink House and we all enjoyed a great discussion.


Overall my stay here so far has been amazing - I finally feel a part of politics and am thriving on discussions with fellow house members all day that are inspiring, educational and uplifting. I now realize just how much I don't know about politics! It's refreshing to be able to have in depth discussions on tough issues with people I trust and who can hear where I'm coming from! This house rocks!

No comments: