Monday, May 14, 2007

"Mother of a March" Leads to Arrests as Mothers and Activists Block Independence Avenue at Capitol in DC

Today, May 13 2007, more than 30 activists including Cindy Sheehan, Tina Richards and other military mothers who wanted Congress to hear their cries for an end to the U.S. occupation of Iraq. Several CODEPINK women were also among those arrested. They blocked traffic at the intersection of Independence and New Jersey Ave on the House of Representatives side of the Capitol Building where they circled around an American flag that was a half mast and upside down to symbolize that America is in "distress". 300 people from all over the country marched in "A Mother of a March" from a rally at the White House to the Capitol.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter, Reign, and I were in DC today with Cindy and all the other wonderful, brave protesters. I am so encouraged and heartened to have participated in this wonderful protest with all those dedicated patriots and matriots. Kudos to everyone who attended!
Shelle

Anonymous said...

I actually got to shake hands with Cindy yesterday. For some reason, I was under the impression that if I tried to do that, a Pink Police by the name of Large Marge would put her tattooed arm on my shoulder and firmly guide me on my way. So here I am, shaking hands with Ms. Sheehan, totally wasting Lynn Woolsies' time with small talk, and generally reflecting on an earlier, simpler time. It was all so pre-9/11. Thanks, Pinksters!

Anonymous said...

So proud of all you brave women! We here in the Bay Area are keeping you in our hearts and minds as we continue our actions to end this nightmare. A photo of the march to Capitol Hill is posted on truthout.org's homepage!