Saturday, June 21, 2008

Promoting the Iran Resolution 06.20.08 at Mayors Conference Miami




We arrived at the Mayor's 76th annual conference to lobby the Don't Attack Iran Resolution
on behalf of citiesforpeace.org & globalexchange.org.It is a 3 day conference June 20-23 that peaceful activists have been invited to participate as media.It was an exciting opportunity to engage the mayors on the issue of Iran using Iraq as an example on the local cost of war.I went inside the Inter Continental Hotel with Carlos from the Chamber of Commerce as he brought my media credentials down to me.We walked upstairs signed in with the press sign-in desk.It was 9am so i wandered around the booths on both 1st & second floor for 2 hours tried to lobby some staffers & mayors with the Iran Resolution in hand.Nancy & i caught up at the Women's Mayors panel at 1130am i planned on filming this segment as well as meet any mayors for a photo opp while chatting up this Resolution.30minutes into my filming the opening remarks the security came over to me and questioned my credentials.My response any problems can be deal with when my friend arrives he is parking and has my bag.I would like to continue filming these are my credentials and have been invited.Suddenly 5 police are pulling & pushing me as they strong arm me out of the large room i begin shouting Mayors MAyors .........the police are going to arrest me for no reason.Perez the main arresting police man keeps saying we aren't arresting you.I keep Shouting Please can anyone help me! I am supposed to be here INVITED etc
The moment we exited the room Perez says you are under arrest.
Some 25 mins later Medea Benjamin is being pushed around by 3 Miami police..............right next to detention vehicle!
9 hours in jail with Medea Benjamin





www.usmayors.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't get more than 9 hours! That is nothing...

Unknown said...

The Oakley Frogskins line has mnbgqhj in particular become a hot favorite with popular celebrities and fashion savvy people. Adding a pair of Oakley Frogskin to a great outfit is an easy way to Cheap Oakley Sunglasses class up what you're already wearing. Celebrities have long hid behind Oakley Jawbone the dark shades of their Oakley sunglasses, and many possess up to ten pairs or more. There is a huge selection of Oakley Jawbones styles, prices and features out there C it's difficult to choose which pair is best.